Joan has practiced law in the Triad of North Carolina for more than 11 years, after beginning her career in Florida. Joan practiced at Nexsen Pruet, LLC prior to joining Bell, Davis & Pitt in 2013.
Joan’s principal areas of practice are:
- Representation of commercial real estate developers in land acquisition and development matters;
- Handling complex loan transactions on behalf of national and community based lenders;
- Drafting and negotiating commercial leases for landlords and tenants;
- Volume commercial lease review and lease assignments in connection with mergers and acquisitions;
- Dispositions for final institutions of other real estate owned/”OREO” property; and
- Negotiation of incentive agreements for both businesses and municipalities to promote job creation and real estate development throughout the State of North Carolina.
Joan currently serves on the Board of Visitors for Guilford College. She previously served on boards for NAIOP and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Central NC Chapter. Joan is a former member of the North Carolina Bar Association, Real Property Section Council and former co-chair of the Greensboro 4ALL Statewide Service Day for the North Carolina Bar Association.
Joan was born and raised in New York and now lives in Winston-Salem.
Loyola University (B.A., 1994)
Widener University School of Law (J.D., 1997)
Bar & Court Admittance
2004, North Carolina
2004, United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
1998, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional & Community Activities
Board of Visitors, Guilford College
Board of directors, NAIOP
Central NC Chapter Board, National Multiple Sclerosis Society,
Real Property Section Council, North Carolina Bar Association
Co-Chair, Greensboro 4ALL Statewide Service Day for the North Carolina Bar Association
Best Lawyers in America® (2020)
Business North Carolina magazine Legal Elite, 2014
Triad Business Journal, 40 Leaders under 40, 2012
Represented large multi-state commercial developer with development planning, analysis, and document drafting.
Represented senior care facility owner/operator in multiple acquisitions and finance transaction.
Large volume lease review, analysis and assignment process in connection with numerous lending institution acquisitions.
Represented property owner in sale of significant, historic warehouse property.