For more than fifteen years, Galen has concentrated his practice on representing businesses and individuals in a wide range of transactions. Galen has significant experience structuring, negotiating, and documenting transactions, from mergers and acquisitions to real estate development transactions.
Galen joined Bell, Davis & Pitt in 1999. Prior to attending law school at Wake Forest University, Galen practiced as a CPA with Ernst & Young, LLP. His principal areas of practice include:
- General business representation, including choice of entity; entity formation; matters of corporate governance and operational issues; negotiating, structuring and drafting commercial contracts, operating agreements, buy-sell agreements and employment agreements;
- Business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, redemptions, dissolutions, asset and stock sales and purchases, joint ventures, like-kind exchanges, real estate development;
- Legal due diligence preparation and review;
- Advising nonprofit organizations regarding obtaining 501(c)(3) tax exemption and ongoing compliance, transaction, and operational matters;
- Shareholder and member buy-sell and operating agreements and family limited partnerships;
- Private placements and other capital transactions;
- Secured lending transactions;
- Tax planning; and
- Shareholder disputes and resolution.
Galen is active in the Winston-Salem community. He currently serves on the board of directors of the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina and is a member of the Winston-Salem Downtown Rotary.
Originally from Harrisonburg, Virginia, Galen received his undergraduate degree from Randolph Macon College in Ashland, Virginia; a Master of Accountancy from Virginia Tech; and his law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law.
Randolph Macon University (B.A., 1990)
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Master of Accountancy, Concentration in Taxation, 1993), Beta Alpha Psi
Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., 1999)
Bar & Court Admittance
1999, North Carolina
United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
United States Tax Court
Professional & Community Activities
Forsyth County Bar Association
Tax Section Member, North Carolina Bar Association
North Carolina Certified Public Accountant
Taxation Committee, North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
Board of directors, YMCA of Northwest North Carolina
Winston-Salem Downtown Rotary
Treasurer, Counsel Member, Business Section, North Carolina Bar Association
Spring Banquet Committee Member, Winston-Salem Ducks Unlimited Chapter
North Carolina Legal Elite (2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Best Lawyers in America® (2015-2018)
AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell